Thanksgiving is a day to reflect on all of our blessings and show and/or express appreciation. I try to do this year round, although that can be challenging to do. Admittedly, I often find myself stressed or complaining about things until I take a deep breath and put it all into perspective. And that is precisely what I did today. I thought about all of the things that I typically find stressful, frustrating, challenging, or annoying, and I decided to spin them into something positive. I found that I could do that with almost everything, so here is my list of things I am thankful for:
- The mess in my house — it means my kids are having fun and are happy
- Toys everywhere — some kids have zero toys. My kids are lucky, so much so, that we are donating half of their stock to Toys for Tots this holiday season.
- Constantly having to do dishes, wash bottles and empty the dishwater — it means there is food on the table
- The loads and loads of laundry — it means my family has clothes to wear
- Working full time — it means I have a job and can support my family
- Having to walk the dog in the winter — it means the dog is still heathy and can take walks
- Poopy diapers — yes, I went there. If my kids were not pooping, I’d have a bigger issue, so it’s great that they are, even though I’m up to my elbows in shit all the time.
- Noisy neighbors — at least I have a roof over my head
- Babies crying — if they weren’t crying, I’d have a bigger issue.
- Babies crying in the middle of the night — um, nope. I will take a pass on this one.
Mom life is hard. Marriage is hard. Juggling both while working full time and trying to find time for yourself is even harder. It’s easy to lose yourself in the negative. I’m always grateful for days like today when I can check myself and recognize that all the negatives are actually not negative at all. They are all blessings that should be viewed and appreciated as such. I know that life actually is pretty shitty for some people, and not the kind I deal with. So, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Hope you get to celebrate all the positives in your life.